Friday 4 July 2008

More good news

My oncologist was brilliant this morning.
I was with my friend, Jeanette and my daughter, Siobhan.
We arrived there at 9:15am, we were called in early and my friend, Wendy, was late, not her fault as the appointment was for 9:30am and I think my Dr was so excited, he called us in at 9:15am!.
At first my oncologist was bubbling about the lymph node shrinking.....yay!!!........ and then went on to say that he couldn't predict what mesothelioma will do and that the disease was now very stable.
All good I thought and then I handed him the information from Germany and his face dropped. He was rather shocked to see the paper work for the 2 embolizations I have had and I was surprised as he had sent all the information to Germany, well....his secretary had.
He was very pessimistic about the procedures until Jeanette told him that 2 different veins were used and that she had watched the whole procedure on the screen in the theatre.
He then realised that Professor Vogl was very reputable. He asked for some more information about the procedures as he wants to know more about the area where the embolization is administered.
He then said that Chemoembolization is performed in Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, but not for Mesothelioma.
He said he was going to discuss this with the radiologist and I asked him if it could be done for Mesothelioma in Plymouth as it is shown to work.
He was very positive about it and said he wanted to show the info to others involved with Chemoembolization in Plymouth.
I also asked about Dendretic cell vaccine and he is going to look into that and let me know if he can find some one in the UK who can do it. He has also commented again about my weight loss and has prescribed fish and chips 3 times a week!
He is now monitoring my weight so I really do need to start putting it back on again even though I feel better for reaching my BMI.
All in all it has been a very good morning. If I can persuade Plymouth's hospital to take on this procedure then hopefully it can be done all over the country.
My friend, Julie looked after Kieran for me as he was off school again.
I went out to pick up Kieran who had been watching......guess what.........yes......TRAINS......... as Julie can see them from her kitchen window.
He was in his element. We then went into town and I treated myself to a nintendo DS and a game .... SPACE INVADERS for the DS!!!
Julie gave me a bottle of champagne to celebrate this good news.